Hiking is one of the best ways to lose weight. Not only do you burn more calories than you do going on a simple walk, but you get to enjoy the beauty of natural setting where you are hiking. Hiking can become much more than an exercise you do in order to lose weight. It can become an obsession, or at the very least, a treasured activity. Hiking is one of those activities that absolutely cannot be overestimated when it comes to weight loss.
One thing that makes hiking so good for weight loss and exercise is that you’re forced to walk. If you spend an hour hiking away from your car, you’ll have to spend another hour hiking back to your car. Even if you don’t make it all the way to the top of the mountain or hike all 40 miles of the trail, you’ll have to hike just to get back to civilization. Unless you quit within the first mile or so, you’ll get good exercise and burn fat no matter what you do.
If you are sick of city life, hiking will give you a break from all the noise and stress around you. You can just walk out into the solitude of nature, where there is nothing but you and the beautiful wildlife around you. Whether you hit a hiking trail, climb a mountain, or wander through a forest, you’ll find that it’s peaceful and very de-stressing.
Here’s a safe and sane approach to losing weight hiking:
• Choose hiking trails that will chalenge, but not defeat, you. Work up to double digit mileage and throw in some elevation gain
• Go into training for trail time. Every day, avoid elevators and escalators, park as far away from the front door as possible, use a standing desk for computer work, make a daily walk part of your self care routine
• Don’t harass yourself for hunger and thirst sensations. Eat and drink adequate amounts with an attitude of gratiude for your hard working body
• Reframe the way you see food. It’s fuel for your body, it’s energy for your muscle contractions, it’s a necessary part of being healthy
• Avoid useng food as reward. Save your favorite chocolate for a trail snack, rather than “at home” food
• Reward your ambitions as a hiker by choosing great destinations. If you can get up to a high point for panoramic views, do it. You’ll soon be hooked on this hiking thing for reasons other than burning calories or weight loss goals
• Realize that hiking is a self-perpetuating cycle of hard work, joy and reward
Hiking is one of the best outdoor experience for burning calories and loseing weight, and alsofor you to get in shape the fun, natural, and easy way.