If you are still using store bought lotion on yourself or your family, there are super easy natural alternatives that are fun to make!
With this recipe, you can customize your lotion to your skin type and desired scent.
Homemade Lotion Ingredients
• 1/2 cup Almond oil or Jojoba oil (or any other liquid oil)
• 1/4 cup coconut oil• 1/4 cup beeswax• 1 teaspoon Vitamin E oil (optional)
• 2 tablespoon Shea Butter or Cocoa Butter (optional)
• Essential Oils, Vanilla Extract or other natural extracts to suit your preference (optional)
How to Make Lotion
1. Combine almond oil (or any other liquid oil), coconut oil and beeswax in a double boiler or a glass bowl on top. If using shea or cocoa butter, add it as well.
2. As the water heats, the ingredients will start to melt. Stir occasionally as they melt to incorporate.
3. When all ingredients are completely melted, add vitamin E oil (if using) and any essential oils or scents like vanilla.
4. Pour into whatever jar or tin you will use for storage. Small mason jars (8 ounce) are great for this. It will not pump well in a lotion pump!
5. Use as you would regular lotion. This lotion is ultra-moisturizing and more oily than water-based lotions so you won’t need to use as much. It also has a longer shelf life than some homemade lotion recipes since all ingredients are already shelf stable and not water is added. Use within 6 months for best moisturizing benefits.
Note: A little goes a long way! This lotion is incredibly nourishing and is also great for diaper rash on baby, for eczema and for preventing stretch marks!